Prev: Re: FT detachable base construction/installation Next: Re: Figure bases, Deimos, ROE

Re: FT detachable base construction/installation

From: "W. Nitsche" <bnitsche@u...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:41:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: FT detachable base construction/installation

> Made my first tubular brass base for FT Tony!).

> Problems:
> 1) Squaring a hole in the bottom of the BB -
> most files wouldn't work (not enough travel)
> and the dremel likes to make rounded corners.
> Suggestions? One idea is filling excess
> (assuming round-ish hole) with Plastic Metal or
> some such compound for filler.

I use a short piece of round rod that just fits into the square tube
that
will become the shaft of the base.  When I epoxy the round rod into the
square, it fills the void in the corners very well.

> ship bottom). However, I applied cyanoacrylate
> to the inner tube and slid it on, and it stuck
> about a 0.5 mm out from the hull (fast drying
> ^%$$!!), I'm assuming that I should get some
> slower drying glue here....

Yeah, I use 5-minute epoxy for just that reason (meaning I did the same
thing).

> 3) Installation of brass stand into old GeoHex
> base. How do you gaurantee verticality and
> perpendicularity in both relevant axes? Any
> tricks? I was thinking the application of some

I use a bench press myself, though if you don't have access to one it
would be a bit tricky.	I haven't had much success using the Mark I
eyeball. Dremel does make a frame you can fit some models of rotary
tools
into to make it work like a small bench press.

I'm getting ready to mount my new Japanese fleet, so maybe I'll get off
my
bum and take some pictures that can be posted (I've always intended to
have a web presence...)

Prev: Re: FT detachable base construction/installation Next: Re: Figure bases, Deimos, ROE