Prev: ROE & MPs Next: Further RoE info

Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 23:35:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Dances With Rocks wrote:

> But can someone give me example ROEs?? Serious ones?
> Useable for DSII? Without ranging far afield? Please?

Too far afield? This group? Please... :>

OK, I ran "rules of engagement" thru Google; got a heap of movie pages
(about a badly done and horribly racist movie, apparently), some right
wing frothing, and maybe one useful link... the FAS has the US Joint
Chief's "Standing Rules of Engagement" at
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/dod/docs/jcsroe.htm

Skimming the FAS doc, there's lots of stuff about 'not escalating' and
'unit self defense'; just those restrictions could make for an
interesting
game of SG2 or DS2. Or FT, for that matter - give one person a task
force
& the mission of getting some high-value freighters out from under a
pair
of smaller, mutually hostile groups. The 'neutral' player could have
enough firepower to smear both other players across the board, but
his/her
RoE prohibits anything but self defense & neutralization of immediate
threats to the ships he's protecting. You could run the same thing on
the
ground, too.

I also went to the US Army's Digital Library
(http://www.adtdl.army.mil/)
and ran "rules of engagement" thru their full text search; that got some
interesting looking hits.

For example, FM 90-29 is 'Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations';
one appendice discusses RoEs, and includes the disclaimer, "However, ROE
are usually based on national strategic and political considerations
rather than on tactical considerations." That sounds calculated to make
the field commander tear his hair out...

Check the ADTDL - run my search for yourself, and see what you come up
with. I find skimming the FMs and other stuff available there always
provides ideas for scenarios.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -

Prev: ROE & MPs Next: Further RoE info