Prev: [SG/FMAS] Pizza Box Scenery Next: RE: Mines ? Rats !

Re: [OT]Weird American (not US) Politics

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:59:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT]Weird American (not US) Politics

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:

> From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
>
> > >OUCH! A direct hit, Mr Brain... :>
> > >
> > Well, maybe.  But it is appreciated by us "Middle North Americans" *

> > appreciate having you as neighbors. <Grin>	Always nice to have one
> > border secure without controversy...
>
> Yes, the Mexicans are friendly. :-)

Def'n of an American: Someone who is benevolently ignorant about Canada.
Def'n of a Canadian: Someone who is malevolently well-informed about the
USA.

(Not original to me; I've no idea who wrote it originally)

Mexicans weren't included in the above definition, but I've always liked
one Mexican President's remark: "Pity Mexico. So far from God, so close
the United States."

Wildly OT, but amusing,

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://wind.prohosting.com/~warbard/games.html -

> My wife has a cousin whose
> family from all accounts owns a large chunk of Chihuahua - must go
> visiting some time. It's nice to have "influence", especially since
> they've been long-time opponents of the Institutional Revolutionary
> Party, and so are IN rather than OUT with the Central Government. Not
> that the Central Government has a hell of a lot of influence in any of
the
> provinces. They've also been supporters of indigenous rights and
income
> re-distribution, but being one of the Fat Cat Ruling Elite, they ARE
the
> local feudal lords, so don't suffer the usual problems of Robber
Barons
> intimidating them.  In fact, they do the intimidating, the Federales
are
> very polite to them, at least in Chihuahua... so I'm told. They still
> have to pay Squeeze outside their fiefdom.
> They've been really pleased that the indigenous rights groups that
have
> a major following in their province have been such a radical and non-
> violent success.
> I'm told that a remarkable number of Old Wealth feudal overlords have
> come to the conclusion that it's far better to be a medium-sized fish
> in an Ocean rather than a big fish in a puddle. The families that have
> come to this conclusion have gained a lot more wealth than the old
> traditionalists, and are slowly consolidating their positions. So I
> guess there's hope that Mexico might be more like the US in terms of
> average income by the end of the 21st century. There might even be a
> federation of Northern Mexico, Tejas, New Mexico and Southern
California.