Prev: Re: RE:Reading Request. Next: Re: Reading Request.

Re: "Strange" Leo1 on Battlefront web page

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:17:52 -0500
Subject: Re: "Strange" Leo1 on Battlefront web page

At 5:54 PM +0100 3/27/02, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Some time ago, KH Ranitzsch asked about the Leopard 1 picture on the
>Battlefront web page (www.battlefront.com, quite far down on the
>right-hand side), but I can't remember seeing any replies to it.
>
>I'm reasonably certain that it is a Canadian Leopard C2 (not to be
>confused with any variant of Leopard 2; the LeoC2 is the 2nd
>Canadian variant of the Leopard 1 <g>).

That would be a Leopard C1 (1A3 or 1A4) (with the welded turret or
some similar variant there about. They've got some Leopard 1A5s now
(sort of) by swapping turrets from some older German tanks that were
upgraded to the A5 spec. The A5 as best as I can tell is
superficially a cast turret model with additional external applique
armor placed around the side, on the mantlet, on the glacis and
thicker skirts. It is certain there are many improvements under that
thicker skin. Note the following urls.

a List of Leopard I variants
http://www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/lima/leopard1_series/leopard1-series.
html

an upgraded C2. Note the overhang
http://www.magma.ca/~tracks/leoc2gall.htm

about the upgrades
http://www.dnd.ca/menu/maple/vol_2/Vol2_23/army_e.htm
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: RE:Reading Request. Next: Re: Reading Request.