Prev: Re: Rheindahlen ? Next: Re: "Strange" Leo1 on Battlefront web page

Washington Gamers + Books

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:29:00 -0500
Subject: Washington Gamers + Books

I think Rick "Bulletproof" Rutherford lives up that way. He mentioned
something about the Beltway and work (sorry Rick, you were talking to
Jim and I was busy dealing cards at the time...).

So I think there is at least one other gamer in the general area.

PS - Is it me, or is there a tendency to recycle old material? I've
sworn off buying Vorkosigan books or Slammers books because a lot seem
to have older recycled stories. Now, that's fine if you never had them
in the first place, but as a (formerly loyal) Drake reader, I get peeved
having to check each new book to see if I've already got more than half
the content! I'll only buy Drake now if I know it is a new series... I
don't mind buying a good story (God knows, my book budget is stupidly
large) but I _do_ mind buying the same thing again (or half of it, to
get the new half). At $10-11 Cdn per paperback for many of the new ones,
this is downright offensive to my mind.

PPS - Finished watching the first for Roughneck Chronicles (Starship
Troopers cartoons): Some very neat vehicles and kit, some interesting
camo patterns, CGI was bearable mostly, and the characters have at least
as much depth as those in the movie, despite the fact they are CGI! Some
neat stories there too, especially in the later ones. And better than
watching them on TV - you get each campaign in sequence. There is even
character development over the duration of the series. My one complaint:
What's up with Commander/Lieutenant Barkalow? He seems to fluctuate in
rank in a supposedly sequential series of shows.... but other than this
one oddity, a pretty good value. And, thinking of gaming - NSL Pzgd seem
to be near perfect for ST MI. And I can use some Heavy Gears for
Marauder-like infantry walkers. But I do need to break down and buy some
GZG bugs!

Prev: Re: Rheindahlen ? Next: Re: "Strange" Leo1 on Battlefront web page