Prev: Re: [FMA] Bar Fight Next: Re: [FMA] Bar Fight (was RE: Scouts)

re: Scouts....

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:49:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: re: Scouts....

--- Nortel <davidar@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> the best game I've had played that did a good job
> with scouts is Command
> Decision (latest version = 3), a WW2 miniatures
> game.

> imagine the surprise when a recon group creeps up to
> within 3" (150m) of a
> woods line, a hidden infantry company opens up on
> them.  they don't feel so
> good, but the tank company providing cover for the
> recon group grins happily
> as they load up HE....

In some cases, you can't spot at all.  I once
commanded a German divisional recon batallion covering
a river crossing by an Infantry Regiment.  I had some
dismounts hiding in some rough terrain on the enemy
side of the river, and up rolls a Russkie tank
batallion.  1941 scenario, so it's BT-7s and a stand
of T-28s(!).  The Red players are hoping to spot my
guys and go over all the spotting modifiers and come
to the conclusion that they can't spot me until they
get right on top of me, and then they only have a 1/10
chance.  They drove right past my guys and never knew
who was spotting for the artillery.

> bit of cover, corner or structure.  it's especially
> interesting to see the
> attacker's angst of pushing his force closer to make
> his scenario deadline,
> but cringing at potential ambush points.

I always laugh a bit--boldness is the only way to win
fights.  It also makes your opponent even more
cautious--what does he know that I don't?  On the
other hand, this is why I like playing with
auxillaries that you don't mind loosing.  Ask Don
about how I used the Swiss in one of our scenarios.
"So, the Swiss charge the church and throw grenades
into it. . . "	not realizing that it was an ammo
storage site (supressing revolting Mormons can be such
fun!).

John

Prev: Re: [FMA] Bar Fight Next: Re: [FMA] Bar Fight (was RE: Scouts)