Prev: RE: Scouts/Spotters, HTML, Drones and odd cross cultural experiences Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

Re: We Were Soldiers

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:08:32 +1100
Subject: Re: We Were Soldiers

From: "Tomb" <tomb@dreammechanics.com>

> PS - Alan, great post on how to do a mini-campaign using scouts and
> other intel. You hit one thing on the head: need a ref!

Murky Bucket.

Some of the better games I've been in were ones involving limited
knowledge on both sides, and where both commanders were constrained
by doctrine. And with multiple players per side,where only the lowest
level commanders actually viewed the table.

In one of em, as a WARPAC commander, I had to order a subordinate
'shot' for Disobeying a strict "Weapons Tight" policy vs aircraft coming
from a particular direction.

Channel A
"But they're F-111s!"
"I don't care if they're B-52s, DO NOT FIRE"
"I'm going to fire anyway."
"Out"

Channel B
"Commander company 3/A, take over Batallion 3 command effective
immediately.
Switch to channel A. Out"

Channel C (played by the umpire)
"Commissar 3 batallion, shoot Comander 3 Batallion, his replacement's on
the
way.
Out."

As it turned out, the F-111s were actually SU-24s off course. Not that
that
mattered. They bombed us anyway.

These days, with laptops, portacams and very cheap short-range radios,
such
game would be even easier to play. Aircraft Recon simulated by a Digital
Camera
used over the playing field.

Prev: RE: Scouts/Spotters, HTML, Drones and odd cross cultural experiences Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR