Prev: re: Re: [OT]: 6mm American Civil War??? Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:28:17 -0500
Subject: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

At 07:50 PM 3/18/02 +0000, you wrote:
>>At 08:43 PM 3/18/02 +1100, you wrote:
>>>From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@voicenet.com>

>>>Oh My Sainted Aunt.
>>>
>>>That's one of the scariest things I've seen on this group for a long
time.
>>>Poor kid. I hope the parent made a formal complaint... or at least
had a
>>>little talk with the teacher. It may have been a mis-communication. I
hope.

>>As do I.  It's happened before.  Teacher to child to parent -- there's
>>bound to be miscommunication.

Great, time

>>>the
>>>
>>>...and that's another of the scariest things. You mean the
drugs-in-schools
>>>bit in the US isn't just media hype or confined to s very small
percentage?
>>>Erk.
>>
>>I work in a public library -- schools are at least a little better.
We did
>>recieve a few phone calls the next week from a fellow who had lost his
>>"dietary supplement" in the library.
>>
>>>The final scariest thing is that your emergency services immediately
>>>suspected
>>>a biowar attack rather than drugs. O Tempora, O Mores!
>>
>>This was back in December, when 911 was getting calls about white
powder
>>every five minutes or so.  I hated to participate in the hysteria -- I
knew
>>what the reaction was going to be -- but what choice was there?
>>
>>But anyway...I'm being all off-topical.  I'm trying to think of
something
>>to bring us back around to SGII, but all I can think of is GW's Space
>>Marine Combat Librarians.  I should pick up some just so I can run a
>>scenarion about their launching a raid on an enemy stronghold to
collect
>>some overdue books....
>
>At Minamicon (UK anime convention that I attended a couple of weeks
ago) we
>saw the first few eps of "Read or Die", a fairly new anime series about
>(wait for it) the Covert Special Operations Division of the British
>Library....!
>Yes, it is JUST as silly as you'd imagine (probably more so actually) -
>Cute Superpowered Girl Librarians rescuing priceless/arcane/dangerous
books
>from the clutches of Evil Master Villains - trust me, you need to see
this,
>if only for the wonderful image of the heroine's wall-to-wall (and
>floor)book-stuffed apartment in the opening sequence.....  ;-)

Thanks -- I'll be keeping an eye out for that one!  A quick web search
brought up a number of pages about it; I'll have to check with my anime
contacts to see if they know anything about a dubbed/subtitled release.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: re: Re: [OT]: 6mm American Civil War??? Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR