Prev: Re: Inaccuracy, was RE: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: [OT]Euro-Immigrants

Re: [OT]Euro-Immigrants was: Anti-Americanism

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:17:45 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Euro-Immigrants was: Anti-Americanism

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de>

> I'm not really a proper German myself,

Warum nicht?

> and I have observed similar
> thinking.A lot of Germans don't consider Northern
> European/American/Australian people here as real
> "Gastarbeiter"/"Asylum-seekers"/"Foreigners" etc. in the pejorative
sense.
> Of course, you were absolutely right in the sense of the word, but too
many
> Germans think it's a dirty word.

That expresses my point exactly - better than my own words did.

> On the other hand, I don't feel that low-level racism here is worse
than
in
> a lot of other places :-(

Stimmt* :-(

> And there are a lot of people who are open, tolerant and supportive.

Stimmt auch :-)

> > There's more Loony Green/leftists who are  so PC (Politically
Correct)
> that they'd allow anyone non-German to get away
> > with murder simply because any sanction would be "racist".
>
> Right. At our boys' school, they hold after-hours Polish classes. For
> time, things would be broken/stolen/soiled the next morning. There was
> serious debate about whether complaining about this would be "racist".
And
> when it was brought up, the Polish teachers complained about racist
> harrassing. Oh well... Things at school have settled down now.

Sounds as if my observations were accurate then. No worries, we have the
same
idiots in Australia, and I'd bet they have the same in Canada, parts of
California
and maybe even in the rest of the US. Also low-level racism.

But maybe we're growing up, and we'll be able to treat people fairly.

Anyway, this is really OT. How can we steer this thread back towards

Prev: Re: Inaccuracy, was RE: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: [OT]Euro-Immigrants