Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? Next: Re: [OT] Potpourri: Responsibility, Paintball, List Seniority

Re: [OT]Wither Canada?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:33:30 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT]Wither Canada?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:42:21 -0800 (PST), John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> You are certainly not correct in there being no
>> Louisianans in the Army of
>> Northern Virginia.
>
>I didn't say there weren't any.  I said (or at least
>meant to say) there weren't many.

Okay. Then it depends on your definition of "many", and of course, when
in the
war you were talking about.

I looked up the order of battle for Gettysburg. There were more
Louisianans
than Texans (you mentioned the comparison to Texas). Two brigades of
infantry
and artillery batteries equalling at least 18 guns for Louisiana, one
brigade
of infantry for Texas. At Antietam, it was about 9 batteries of
artillery and
11 regiments for Louisiana; 3 regiments and no artillery for Texas. I'm
not
sure where you got the idea that Texas supplied "most of a division",
but
Texas never supplied a large number of men for the Army of Northern
Virginia.
As for generals, Louisiana had P.G.T. Beauregard... of course that
should
probably count as some sort of negative.

I'm also not sure why you picked the Army of Northern Virginia. Granted
it was
the largest Confederate army, but the western armies were more likely to
have
Texans and Louisianans.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"

Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? Next: Re: [OT] Potpourri: Responsibility, Paintball, List Seniority