Prev: RE: [ARCHIVES] Overhaul complete Next: Re: [OT]Wither Canada?

Re: [OT]Wither Canada?

From: "Robert W. Eldridge" <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:25:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT]Wither Canada?

Depends on how you define "a lot". There were two full brigades worth
that I
know of, totalling originally 10 regiments and 5 battalions. They were
consolidated into a single brigade as a result of casualties in 1864.
There
is an excellent book "Lee's Tigers" by Terry L. Jones, that goes into
exhaustive detail on the service of Louisiana troops in the Army of
Northern
Virginia. The specific units concerned were the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th,
8th, 9th, 10th, 14th and 15th Louisiana Volunteer regiments, the 1st
Special
Battalion (Wheat's battalion, aka the 'Tiger' Zouaves), Dreux's
battalion(1st Louisiana Volunteer Battalion), Coppens' Louisiana Zouave
battalion(1st Louisiana Zouaves), 3rd Battalion, Louisiana Infantry
(Bradford's Battalion), and the Washington Infantry Battalion (St.
Paul's
Foot Rifles). The 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th,with the 1st Special battalion,
formed Richard Taylor's brigade that played such a prominent part in
Jackson's Valley campaign. Seven batteries of Louisiana artillery also
served with the ANV, of which the 4 batteries of the Washington
Artillery
are the best known.