Prev: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc. Next: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

Re: Now on topic previously was Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels....boom....

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:11:17 -0500
Subject: Re: Now on topic previously was Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels....boom....

John Atkinson wrote:

> --- Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > This actually depends, strongly, on the technology
> > available.	If you have
> > something like a stasis field that is impervious and
> > totally reflective to
> > neutrons, you can get the five milligrams of Pu to
> > totally fission.
>
> What would be the yield on that puppy?

I would calculate it, but I would need to know the conversion factor
from joules to TNT equivalent.	The raw answer is 40 megajoules (which
may be a single stick of dynamite).  While that is small, 5 milligrams
is a tiny amount of material.  The reason that it works, is that inside
the totally reflective volume, the only thing that absorbs neutrons is

Prev: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc. Next: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....