Prev: RE: Eyes have it Next: Re: Eyes have it

RE: FT: Carriers

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:58:44 -0700
Subject: RE: FT: Carriers

The carrier would be pointing backwards and downwards, effectively
decelerating the fighters relative to the carrier.  This would have two
effects - it puts them in a lower orbit and slows them down.

Counter-intuitively lower orbits are higher speed. IIRC LEO (Low Earth
Orbit ~200 miles up) is a circle of radius ~4000 miles and satellites at
that orbit transit in 90 minutes.  This equals a speed of ~16,800 miles
per hour.  Consequently geo-synchronous (one orbit per 24 hours) is
roughly 36,000 miles out giving a speed of ~9,500 miles per hour.

If the object is slower than orbital speed, it falls out of orbit.  So
by decreasing speed you drop, by dropping you increase the required
orbital speed and if you don't thrust forward you drop.

--Binhan