Prev: Dropships Next: FT: Ship Minis

DLD vs. GZG

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:02:29 -0500
Subject: DLD vs. GZG

Chen-Song asked about DLD figs.

I'm the proud owner of 4 25mm Kamodos, 1
HFS, 1 TOC, and 2 Civet grav tanks. These are
equivalent in casting quality to the best
armourcast has produced (IMO) and David
even does some pre-clean up so I needed to
do zip nada zilch when they arrived. There are,
however, lots of bits. Lots and lots. These are
actually resin MODEL-kits rather than just three
or four bits to be glued together. I forget parts
counts, but numbers like 60/80/100 might not
be far off in some instances. Of course, as a
result, the detail level is pretty amazing.

OTOH, GZG vehicles (just bought a bunch more
of these) tend to come in 2-8 bits, be easily
assembled, and have a lower (but still decent in
most cases) casting quality.

I found the only GZG model I've ever had real
casting issues with was the dropship (the big
one just recently re-released). Lots of little
protrusions to clean up and signs of air
bubbling across a lot of the hull plating. And a
lot of filing and pinning at the joints. Most
others, the only thing I've needed to do is put a
turret-rotator pin in.

The only other resins I've bought that I had
trouble with were from Eureka and these were
the Cockroach tank and APC. The problem with
these is that (in the case of the grav tank) it is
an oval shape. With under-pour or over-pour
on either mould half (it is bisected at the waist
along a horizontal plane), the ovals don't match
up right and you have a lot of puttying or filing
to do. In the case of the APC, the sides slope,
and with underpour or over-pour, the sloping
part on the lower hull doesn't meet very well
with the sloping part on the upper hull. They are
very very cool looking kits, but take a fair bit of
patience and work with putty, dremel, etc. to
get together with the quality I demand.

Now, cost-wise, DLD kits aren't cheap (neither
are GZG, but I think David's are more expensive
yet). But the Civet and the Kamodo are
excellent kits (in both 15 and 25mm) and you
get what you pay for. I wouldn't buy the little
ARV because 1 rifleman could easily mission-kill
the vehicle (unprotected crew), but the other
products are realistic and very well designed.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges.
[The more corrupt a republic, the more laws.]
-- Tacitus

Prev: Dropships Next: FT: Ship Minis