Prev: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc. Next: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.

Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:24:12 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.

On  7-Mar-02 at 12:54, KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de
(KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de)
wrote: > Bell, Brian K (Contractor) schrieb:
> > When my grandfather took me out on the tractor, the first
> > thing he said was not to jump off. The second was to only
> > drive up or down the hills, not around them.
>
> I think tractors are especially prone to falling over because they are

> relatively narrow and high, with a high center of gravity. Most
> military vehicles won't fall over that easily. But it can still
happen.

That depends on the tractor.  The small Oliver tractor I drove when
I was on the farm had a fairly low center of gravity as do most
of the tractors sold in the Ozarks.  The hills preclude the bigger
tractors.

Something amusing was watching them run Caterpiller 'Dozers for
clearing hills.  Cable at the top and two cats cabled together
working up and down.  Of course this was stupid, cattle couldn't
graze on the slope and you couldn't make hay on it.  It should
have been left uncleared.

Prev: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc. Next: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.