Prev: The darker side of black (was The whiter side of white) Next: [ECC] See you in Lancaster, some in the crosshairs

Re: The darker side of black (was The whiter side of white)

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:04:18 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: The darker side of black (was The whiter side of white)

<fugu@spikyfishthing.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Ok, I've been thinking on this and having never actually bothered to
try
> >I'm at a loss as how to do it. How do you give cotrast to white? You
can
> >use a light or dark grey for shadow but what do you use to reflective
> >edges?

For white, I start with a base of medium grey, and then drybrush it with
two
lighter shades of grey, and then finally with pure white.

I've also experimented with starting with a base of white, inking the
mini with
grey ink, and then drybrushing with white again.  This works best for
figures
that are almost entirely white, like stormtroopers.

> Okay, here's the opposite question. How do you do black? Do you paint
in a
> very dark blue and then use black for the shadows? Or do you just
paint the
> whole figure in black and do a highlight in either some blue shade, a
grey
> shade, or a silver shade? Or is there another option?

I start with a base of black and then drybrush it with a very dark blue
(Pthalho blue) or green, depending on which I want.  I then drybrush it
very,
very lightly with a lighter shade of the same color as the first
drybrushing.

I've also gotten very good effects drybrushing a very pale grey directly
over
black -- again, *very* lightly -- although this is better for something
that's
supposed to look a little worn.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim

Prev: The darker side of black (was The whiter side of white) Next: [ECC] See you in Lancaster, some in the crosshairs