Prev: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy Next: Re: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II

Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

From: hal@b...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:00:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

>Agreed.   Now we need to do one thing to make it
>more interesting, on the A-B line we place a compass
>disk and define 'North' as the bearing from the
>centerpoint of the A-B line to earth, I.E. zero
>degrees.

I've got a section of coding from an individual who showed how it is
possible to convert ascention and declination into X,Y,Z co-ordinates.
You
do need "distance" to destination to provide for the "Z" aspect of the
xyz
system.

>hals Logic portion removed...
>> Hmmm, what about the
>> distance from A to B which is a known quantity?  Now
>> you have a triangle with *all* angles known, plus
>one >side of the triangle's distance known. From that,
>can >you not determine your other two sides?  From
>that, can >you not determine your location in a rough
>manner?
>-----
>Agreed, you will be able to define your location in
>terms of angle/dist fm A and angle/dist fm B.	 What
>this information will not tell you is the difference
>between the A-B centerline 'North' and your current
>angular location.
>Or perhaps in a more simplistic case, knowing all the
>angles and distances on a triangle will not tell you
>if the triangle is standing up or lying down.
>
>> I must be missing something.  Either that, or I am
>> right, but am uncertain enough to say why...
>------
>  Perhaps, in this case the full extent of the problem
>was not defined.
>
>Please note that while I agree with all of the points
>you made, I.E. your logic is correct, you would still
>be completely lost in space because you did not have
>enough information to solve the problem.

You see, this is where you keep getting me confused....

If you have the 3d co-ordinates for Pulsar A, or point A in this three
dimensional space problem, and you have the 3d co-ordinates for Pulsar B
in
this problem, and you solve for angles for point C, and you also solve
for
distance, it only stands to reason, that you now have the 3d
co-ordinates
for the triangle's third point.  This should give you the ability to
know
relative to the original co-ordinate system, where you are...

	  Hal

Prev: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy Next: Re: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II