Prev: Re: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II Next: RE: SPS/Pulsars

Re: SPS/Pulsars

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:36:30 -0000
Subject: Re: SPS/Pulsars

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 6:19 PM

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:05:32AM -0700, B Lin wrote:
> >Another possibility, is that instead of ships (you don't really need
big regular drive, just and FTL drive) you have ummanned pods that hop
back
and forth every so often (once a day, hourly or more frequent.)

> Tricky - in the canon background, at least, an interstellar trip needs
> several jumps with recharging time in between them (and known strange
> effects on computers). I suspect the failure rate would be quite high.
>
> Roger

Also, if you assume that a ship has to be a certain distance from the
gravitic influence of the star(s) before being able to jump, a high
thrust
rating would be nice <G>. To send a message from centari to sol (4.3LY?)
would only require one jump. If a ship had to be 1LH(light hour, 15 AU I
think?), how long would it take a ship to cross the distance from the
planet
if it was thrust 8 Vs thrust 2? (assuming they had to cross 1LH from
said
planet to safe jump distance). I also like using the FT universe with a
minimum jump distance (inbound and outbound) and a  continus hyperspace
FTL
jurney instead of a series of instantaneous jumps, with the speed each
ship
can cover equal to half it`s thrust rating in LY`s per day (which makes
having a fast wing of thrust 6 ships useful for rapid responce).

BIF

Prev: Re: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II Next: RE: SPS/Pulsars