Prev: RE: Planets - worms Next: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II

Re: [FT] A Modest Rate of Fire Proposal

From: <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:12:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] A Modest Rate of Fire Proposal

Having played Civil War naval games for many years where guns fired
every n turns, I will say that unfortunately many players get bored if
they cannot fire every turn or at most every other turn, and don't
appreciate the tactical nuances.
gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu wrote:
> 1. All beam batteries fire every n turns, where n is the class of the
beam weapon.
2. Pulse torps fire every third turn
3. Multiply total damage by the class of the beam, or PTorps by 3.
4. Do not adjust damage capacity of ships, armor or shields.
5. Thripple the reload time for fighters.
7. Respect cool-looking typos.
8. Missile ROFs do not change, although I still like my Individual
Missile Launcher (first posted under a different name some time ago) in
place of SMLs for this variant.

A. This adds more tactical considerations, such as "fire now at long
range, or risk losing weapons before closing next turn".
B. Ships go boom.
C. High-thrust ships with class-1 beams become really vicious in vector
knife fights.

Prev: RE: Planets - worms Next: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II