Prev: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: BIG sorry - How to unsubscribe

RE: FTL Comms

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:15:47 -0500
Subject: RE: FTL Comms

One of the big differences would be the response time to an invasion of
system.

Take a system that is 4 jumps from the nearest military base. Without
FTL
communication:
1) It would take a minimum of 1 day to get to the military base (using
the
minimum 6 hours between jumps). This would about kill the crew with
jump-stress.
2) If there were a courier ring, it would be quicker, but would still
take
hours.
3) The military base would have to send out couriers to the various
ships of
the fleet on patrol with a message to gather at point X.
4) The ships would then have to get to X and then go to the invaded
system.

With FLT, the military base would be notified almost immediatly and then
the
various ships of the fleet almost as fast. The difference could be days
or
weeks depending on how far away the military base and ships of the fleet
are.

-----
Brian Bell
-----