Prev: FTL Comms Next: RE: FTL Comms

RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: Rick Rutherford <Rick@e...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:07:52 -0500
Subject: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy

someone wrote:
> The original Voyager "To Occupant" message used Pulsars and distances
> to locate Sol to anyone within the Galaxy. Fortunately, we also have
> an unusually bright star - Sirius - in our neighbourhood. Even
> intergalactic navigation would be possible using the combination - the
> Pulsars to get the "area code", then find Sirius (which can be done
> from halfway across the Galaxy), and it's up the road and turn left
> a few parsecs.

... so when we Earthlings finally make it to the nearby stars, we're
going to find lots of empty planets, until we get to Sirius... then
we'll suddenly find a half-dozen (or so) different alien starships,
all waiting for us to show up!

Heh heh heh... "Dinner is served"...

Prev: FTL Comms Next: RE: FTL Comms