Prev: RE: RE: Re: Things that make you go Ummmm. Next: Re: [ECC]The Multitudes of Lancaster Housing Woes

Re: [OT] oddball enrivonment questions

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:49:14 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: [OT] oddball enrivonment questions

Rick Rutherford schrieb:
> I once ran a SG scenario on a moon that had a thin
> atmosphere, and one of the effects was that whenever a
> unit near a terrain feature (a hill or a gully) took
> fire, the bullets & grenades kicked up a lot of moon dust,
> which was represented by a cotton ball
> of "smoke".
>
> Of course, there isn't any wind on the moon, so the
> cotton balls didn't move or blow away, and during the
> course of the game the terrain on the battlefield was
> slowly modified as the players took shots at each other.

Actually, I'm not sure this was the right effect. Certainly there is no
wind to blow away the smoke and dust.

On the other hand, dust and smoke float in air and even rise if the air
or gases around them are hot enough. But without an athmosphere, dust
particles kicked up will continue on ballistic trajectories. Gas will
expand and thin out spherically. I suspect that dust and smoke on an
asteroid will disperse faster than in quiet air.

Greetings

Prev: RE: RE: Re: Things that make you go Ummmm. Next: Re: [ECC]The Multitudes of Lancaster Housing Woes