Prev: Real life application of a HEL on a gunship Next: RE: Re: Thanks

Re: Things that make you go "Ummmm."

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:01:45 +0000
Subject: Re: Things that make you go "Ummmm."

>Nah, That's *after* he sees the ships...  "No, really, these are legit
>military miniatures! See?"

<Sigh.....>

Ah well, I guess it's time to go through the old story again, for the
benefit of any who missed it last time.....
<GRIN>

The Truth About The Phalons:

Point 1: The Phalon ships were sculpted by Dave Garnham, not by me. This
means I can legitimately blame someone else*.....  ;-)

(* And someone who doesn't work for us any more, which makes
blameshifting
even better....)

Point 2: The designs were actually inspired by the lovely biomech ships
in
Johji Manabe's "Outlanders" (and yes, this is also where the name for
the
Sa'Vasku was pinched from - the alien empire in Outlanders is the
Santovasku Empire....). The ships in said manga are living organisms,
very
snail-like in configuration, firing energy bolts from the "mouth" of
their
long main hull/body.

Point 3: Yes, the, er.... "symbolism" is not unintentional, but actually
arose (fnar, fnar) AFTER Dave had done the first couple of sculpts
(IIRC,
the FT806 was the first).... from then on, we just decided to play up
the
joke....

Point 4: The name is entirely deliberate. Just be glad that the
suggestion
of calling them the Nobberonians got canned early on.....

Point 5: If you like, you can think of the whole thing as an ironic
parody
of the strong FEMALE symbolism so prevalent in certain works of SF (eg:
anything by Giger, Space Hulk etc). Alternatively it might just be our
sick
and thoroughly juvenile sense of humour.

<VERY BIG GRIN!!!!>

Jon (GZG)

"Being British, I find anything to do with bottoms or lavatories highly
amusing....." - Elizabeth Hurley.

<laserlight@quixnet.net>