Prev: RE: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation Next: Re: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth

Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:28:53 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.keme.co.uk>
> Not wanting to be too nitpicky, but if they're fighting for
ideological
> reasons (even for a foreign power) then surely they're not strictly
Mercs?
> Mercs generally fight for payment, in money or in kind....

If you define "mercs" as "people who fight strictly for cash", then
no, they're not mercs, and there aren't very many mercs in the world.
If you define "mercenary" as "someone who voluntarily fights for a
country  not his own" then I think you'll find that ideology and
desire for adventure rate pretty highly as reasons to fight.  Turning
it about, do you call a states own servicemen "mercenaries"?  No, but
they still get paid (at least in western countries--if you're in

Prev: RE: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation Next: Re: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth