Prev: asteroid habs Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

Colonization Models

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 01:53:15 -0500
Subject: Colonization Models

Just a quick thought on two ways to look at
colonization, both from GDW (smart fellows
there, once upon a time). One is what I will call
the Traveller Model, and the other is the 2300
AD Model. In fact, the former may be a much
farther advanced version of the latter, but they
are distinct enough to discuss separately.

Traveller Model:

A darn lot of worlds (1 human empire, of which
I know of 3 large ones) had 11,000 wordls.
Varying tech/law/social throughout - not a lot of
homogeneity. Even within a single monolithic
empire, a barbarian world could be next to the
high-tech sector wunderland. Tech levels from
"me have rock" all the way up to personal
fusion guns, personal anti-grav (I'd guess in
GZGverse times, this might be about 2500-
3000 AD).

How could this hash come to be? Well, if you
look at it, there are a couple of factors at work:
Some planetary seeding by some UberDoodz
we'll call the Ancients (gone now - took
themselves out). Lots of independent evolution
of intelligence, though only 6(?) major races
(major race = developed own jump drive tech,
but one case is actually a big fake!). Also, lots
of small empires (well, maybe even bigger than
the whole human GZGverse, some of them)
rose and fell. Traveller falls around 5700 AD on
the Solomani (Terran) timeline. So the rise and
fall, the genetic seeding, the diversity of life, and
the cultural more which arose to not muck with
low tech planets (a la prime directive - Red
Zones and Amber Zones) help to explain this
mosaic of society/tech/etc. Makes for a super
place for an RPG and it must make for a hell of
a place to govern. Also, there is no travel faster
than Jump, nor comms. So pony-express over
an 11,000 planet empire is quite a task. News
can take years to propagate from one end of
the empire to the other. Even with the
government cheating!

The other model, used in 2300 AD (originally
Traveller 2300, which might hint at the
connection), features a much more
homogenous colonization. It is small (much like
the proposed GZGverse - huge to us today, but
small compared to 11,000 worlds). It has a few
major colonial powers and some minor ones
(England, France, US (ish), Russia, the PAU-
equivalent (Azania?), Germany, China, etc).
Some places have only one colony (Canada)
and a few outposts. Others have maybe half a
dozen or a dozen with some outposts.

The difference between this and the other
model is homogeneity of culture and
technology. Yes, the colonies are different than
Terra and it takes a while for stuff to propagate,
but in theory you could get anything shipped to
anywhere and the colonies have high tech - it
might be a couple or even ten years old, but it
is pretty homogenous. You don't have sword
wielding barbs on one planet and UberTech
Cybernetic Entities on the next. This is because
in a very real sense humanity is in its first
outward expansion wave. This makes the model
very similar to the GZGverse (and the weapons
and their rough deployments would look about
the same, and the 2300 date isn't that far from
2185).

I don't have any "breathtaking conclusions" to
this line of thinking, but I might suggest 2300
AD as good source material (things like the
Colonial Atlas, CyberTech Earth, The Vehicle
Guide, The Equipment Guide, etc) for examining
how things might roughly be in the GZGverse (if
you wanted an RPG for GZG, this game system
would also be easily convertible since the tech is
so similar). And another thing worth looking at
is the game's treatment of institutes (such as
the astromechenrecheninstiute (KH, don't flay
me for this insult to German.... It's the ARI) for
one example). Corporations and independent
scientific bodies play a big role in space and in
exploration and development of colonies. GDW
used to have a "Challenge" magazine which had
a lot of useful 2300 AD articles in it too.

Tomb.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: asteroid habs Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[