Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist Next: Colonization Models

asteroid habs

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 01:31:45 -0500
Subject: asteroid habs

Brian said:
Personally, I can see better things to do
with habitable planets than use them as
prisons. Stick the convicts in asteroid habs,
and let regular people do your colonizing.

[Tomb] How about instead we send them
to hab-less asteroids and let the regular
people do the colonizing?

Whereas Roger said:
A different kind of sentence.  Put them in a
dangerous environment that needs
minerals extracted.  They are sentanced to
produce X amount of  mineral at which point
they are set free.  Those with drive that
could be an asset to society get free
sooner because they work hard.	Those
that are lazy (or stupid) never return.

[Tomb] Oh Good! Roger wants to let the
toughest and most driven hardened scum
back into society! Oh goodie! (The plan is
something to think on, but I'm not sure
that letting the nastiest, biggest, toughest,
etc. back into society first is the best
idea...). Maybe a more workable version
would be doing it "by team" and the
_team_ that got to their target would be
set free. (Perhaps with some psych
conditioning to prevent recidivism). That
would promote (some sort) of community
or team spirit rather than tough-ass
individualism. Of course, a team of nasty
guys might not be so hot to let loose, so
maybe they are all returned to different
planets with no contact info for one
another.

[Tomb] As for the whole issue of
men/women on a colony: If you don't want
kids for the first 2 years, everyone who
goes (men or women) gets a 24 month
contraceptive. And you send some fairly
draconian law enforcement types with a
fair latitude of power (think Wild West or
Klondike Gold Rush or Canadian
Explorations of the West) and let them
keep the lid on and keep the rougher sorts
in line.

[Tomb] As far an Antarctica goes, I think
the people who get to go there (correct me
if I'm wrong Beth) are super-select. They
tend to be carefully picked. If I'm sending
out 100,000 colonists, I think you have to
imagine a few bad apples in the bunch. So
I'm not sure Antarctica is a fair
comparison.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist Next: Colonization Models