Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:29:31 +0100
Subject: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

----- Original Message -----
From: "B Lin" <lin@rxkinetix.com>
> Pre-fab houses are usually dependent on much of the difficult parts
being
done - foundation, major utilities such as sewage and main water line
are
already in.  All the pre-fab parts are walls and a roof.  Then there is
still electrical, interior plumbing and stuff like that to install.
When
you add in the foundation pouring time and the effort to dig in the
sewage/water lines I would think it runs closer to a week to put up a
house.
If it's more like a mobile home, then I think I would have less
structural
integrity than a house with a concrete foundation.  This might be
acceptable
as a short term solution, but I would think that people would want
something
more substantial.

> Even if units only took 2 people a weekend, for 250,000 people that's
either a lot of weekends or a tremendous output of material from the
pre-fab
factory in just a few weeks - 250,000 walls and 62,500 roofs for a
family of
4.

> In either case, I think it means a lot of employment for people for a
few
years.

> --Binhan

Water and sewage ? Depends on your assumptions about local availability
and
luxury requirements. At the lowest, a nearby well and and an outside
latrine
are not that much work and can be done by the colonists themselves,
without
much hired labour..

Another option for housing are something akin to present-day
cargo-container
housing. Everything pre-fabricated at the factory and just dropped onto
piece of flat ground. Takes up a lot of transport volume, though.

Greetings

Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[