Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard...... Next: Re: DS2 More on Cascadia: CasCav

Re: Tanks. Speaking of verdammt pet peeves!

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:43:50 +0100
Subject: Re: Tanks. Speaking of verdammt pet peeves!

> >US
> >UK
> >France
> >FRG
> >fUSSR (IIRC, their tank production is mostly in Russia
> >and Ukraine, not sure on this).

In addition to the ex-WP countries Rob lists below, the DDR also built
tanks.

> >PRC
> >Japan
> >Korea
> >Egypt (which recently started assembling their own
> >M-1s from kits, IIRC)
> >Israel
> >South Africa
> >
> >Ummm. . . The Swiss and the Swedes have built tanks in
> >the past but I don't think they do anymore.

We don't build complete tanks any more. Most of the Strv 122s (Leopard
2S,
"S" for "Sweden") were assembled here, and most of the parts were built
here, and their add-on protection and parts of their electronics and
other
gadgets are also Swedish-designed and -built, but the basic design is of

course German. If you count Egypt as "tank-building", then we belong on
that list too :-)

> >The Argentinians build a tank, but it's really not an MBT
> > in the proper sense.  IIRC, the Indians have a tank??
> > Not sure about that.  North Koreans turn out light
> > tanks at least.

If you count the Korean light tanks, then the Argentinian TAMSE
certainly
counts as a tank as well.

>India does indeed build tanks -Vijayantas (Vickers MBT) in the past,
T72s
>now and T90s in future as their own Arjun turned out to be a
>"disappointment".

Pakistan's "Khalid" (not to be confused with the Jordanian ex-UK tanks
of
the same name) seems to work better than the Indian "Arjun" - not that
that
says very much.

>Brazil can make their own Osorio tanks;

...though unfortunately Empresa recently went under (mainly due to the
flood-wave of cheap ex-USSR equipment at the end of the Cold War
swamping
their would-be market).

>Poland, former Czechoslovakia and former Yugoslavia build ex-Soviet
types
>too.

Yugoslavia have also modified the basic ex-Sov types a fair bit.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard...... Next: Re: DS2 More on Cascadia: CasCav