Prev: Re: Speaking of verdammt pet peeves! Next: Re: [FT] New weapon system..sort of?

Re: Colonists and Weapons

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:25:14 -0800
Subject: Re: Colonists and Weapons

Scott Clinton Wrote:

>>There are experimental gauss weapons, they were developed as part of
>>the SDI project.
>
>And there are REAL, practical LASERs in use today that can burn a hole
>through a soldier.  Granted, they are not man-portable on a
battlefield,
>etc., etc... but the fact that they exist in commercial (i.e.
economically
>feasible) applications makes LASERs decades closer than their gauss
>equivalents (at least).

I'm interested to see how this discussion has progressed from my
original
comments.  I'm sure that this evolution has rendered my argument
irrelevant
to the CURRENT line of discussion, but I want to clarify a few points:

In my original argument, I never claimed that military lasers were
non-viable.  I never claimed that gauss weapons would develop faster
than
them.  My only observation was that, no matter how advanced the science
of
lasers gets, whether that means new energy sources, beam types (Visible
light, microwave, whatever), portability, etc., they will always suffer
the
setback of relying on their optics in order to be functional as a
weapon.
That means that even slight misalignments, dirt, any sort of poor
conditions, will have a far more deleterious effect on it's performance
than
say, a regular bullet-firing weapon. As a future frontiersman, NOT A
SOLDIER, where I may spend days or weeks ALONE (No platoon sgt., no
logistics section), away from my home, let alone from the nearest town,
and
even more removed from Earth, I want a weapon that can withstand rough
contitions, be beaten about, is easy to service by myself.  And I want
it to
be able to drop big predators in their tracks.

Remember, there are vast differences between what is required of a
military
weapon and what is required of a civilian sporting or utilitarian
weapon.
If you mortally wound a grizzly, he does not drop his weapon, call for a

medic, and tie up significant portions of a logistic tail getting care.

Unless you stop him cold, he keeps coming, kills you, and then dies.
Bloody
lot of good that does you.

2B^2

Prev: Re: Speaking of verdammt pet peeves! Next: Re: [FT] New weapon system..sort of?