Prev: Re: [FT] I'm in love with Pulse Torpedoes (and tactics question) Next: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers

Re: Scratchbuilt ships...

From: "Flak Magnet" <flakmagnet72@y...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:33:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Scratchbuilt ships...

On 9 Jan 2002 at 9:46, Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> On 1/9/02 9:32 AM, "Flak Magnet" <flakmagnet72@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nice work. They have an NSL feel to them.

Thank you.  You're not the only one to see similarities with the NSL, I
think I'll
review the GZG site to make sure I can keep the "slab sided" feel, which
I like while
keeping it different enough from the NSL to be "mine".

> Constructive criticism:

Whee!  The BEST kind!

> Looks like you were using superglue; try a liquid plastic cement. It
> "welds" the plastic together, and makes a much less noticeable join
> between pieces.

I was.	Mostly these were 'thrown together' last night to get a feel for
it.  I didn't start
using my razor saw and miter box until I saw that I was actually getting
something
half-way decent going.	I also was out of Ambrose Pro-weld, my
plastic-weld of
choice.  I think I'll just check the Tenax I have out... it's
half-useless.

> Be very careful when making cuts. Try to make them as square (or
> whatever angle) as possible. This will also keep joins from being as
> noticeable. Don't be afraid to toss out a piece that's not perfect (my
> table is littered with thousands of failed attempts).

Yeah, I figured that out a bit and started paying closer attention later
on.  Something
that "sucks" about getting this in this is that now even the SMALLEST
piece of
plastic can be a detail, so now I have to keep a sorted "bits box" to
avoid wasting
my plastruct stock.

I acquired a new razor saw today and some saw-toothed knife blades,
hopefully that
will "neaten up" my efforts.

> Add some bits. Looking at the GZG line, they all have hull plating and
> raised bits. While hull plating might be a little advanced for some,
> you can really add to the "plain" areas of the hull by adding bits.

I intended to.	While at the hobby store getting new saws I also picked
up some
textured plastic sheets that will make some styles of hull plating
easier and sharper.

> Happy Carving! (Try not to go blind)

Thanks (everyone) for the input.  I really enjoyed making these ships
and I really
think I may make FT my "primary" miniature game because of the
possibilities in
scratch-building.  I really found it to be easy.