Prev: Re: [OT] Dice Servers Next: [OT] Book Recommendation

[OT] Blackhawk Down

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:35:12 -0500
Subject: [OT] Blackhawk Down

My review.

Having read the original articles (long before it
was a book), seen the movie on opening night
(knowing what the story was in detail ahead of
time), and having also just watched a 2 hour
documentary on things.

1) John A makes a fairly accurate assessment of
many of the failings of the mission. His
assessment of superhero games is blinkered,
but that's our John.... <*grin*>

2) Someone pointed out the tension between
the Delta and Rangers. This comes out very
clearly in the original accounting. The Rangers
were coming to pieces from the casualties and
long time under fire. The Delta guys were in no
mood to screw around. I particularly recall a
story of one Delta guy riding around (I think)
with a busted leg and shooting away anyway
out of the Humvee. Anyway, this aspect is totally
done away with in the movie.... no friction to be
seen (a few eyes rolled aside maybe, but no
actual friction). The Rangers are shown (to my
mind) as far more gripped and together even
when things started going bad than the
impression the original story gave me.

3) The streets and alleys in the movie seemed
much wider than the streets in the actual city
(saw them on the documentary). And so was
the crash site (#2 I think). The real city of
Mogadishu looked far worse.

4) The movie glossed over (except in brief
mention) the problems the UN troops
presented... mind you I think they had some
justification, not having been clued in by the US
forces ahead of time.... but they still were
obstructionist in terms of getting the relief
column with armour together and headed into
the city.

5) The fire in the movie, though it looks intense.
was far less than that in reality I suspect. Or at
least its effects. The book details Humvees
driving 10 mph with three tires blown off and
on fire. Hummers in the movie didn't take quite
that much punishment. And I never saw the
barricade crashing that was mentioned in the
book.

6) I don't recall the bit with the IR beacon/flare
and the run across the open to place it.... but it
might have happened.

7) The actual Rangers weren't quite as
photogenic or rah rah. The ones in the
documentary came off as real people, warts
and all, trying to deal with a real bad situation
they'd gotten into.

For all that, I did like the movie and in many
substantive ways, it told the story as it
happened. A little more clean and nice than the
actual one (despite the gore here and there,
and I still don't think the gore here matched
that first 20 mins of SPR) both in terms of the
condition of people and vehicles and in terms of
the relationship between the Rangers and Delta
and the morale effects of the situation on the
young Rangers.

Tom Sizemore played a kind of impressive
character, as did the lead Delta guy (name
forgotten) - though I did find their portrayal of
his ability to blend with the populace at the
beginning funny - one white guy with fancy
shades in the midst of a crowd of non-whites....
stick out? naw! :)

Also, I have to give my utmost respect for the
two Delta snipers who fastroped into crash site
#2. They knew what they were getting
themselves into, and they deserved their
medals.

The movie does capture the feeling of the chaos
of street fighting against a disorganized foe,
where non-combatants randomly appear in the
middle of a fight and some of the people you
are fighting are kids of 12. It captures the
effects of not taking the high ground. It
captures how fast a simple and elegant plan
can go to hell and how bad that can be if you
don't have backup strategies in place.

The book, if it is anything like the original web
stories (which Los put me onto as they came
out or shortly after), is probably well worth the
price as a keeper for your shelf.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: [OT] Dice Servers Next: [OT] Book Recommendation