Prev: Re: [OTT] Reds Under the Bed Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:15:05 EST
Subject: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Uh, yeah, sure.... I'll take both you at face value (Doublespeak works,
George!)

Bigger guns kill things "better."  That I understand...

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:27:47 -0700 "B Lin" <lin@rxkinetix.com> writes:
>The difference here is the usage of %.
>
>The point I was making was the % chance of kill was increased by 25,
>thus 25% increase.
>
>You are using % as a factorial increase - 50% increase over the 50%
>baseline.
>
>Since there is an absolute limit to % kill, it makes more sense to use
>100% kill as the baseline and count absolute, not relational increases
>- so a 25% increase means 25 more percent chance to kill compared to a
>100% chance to kill rather than using a fractional description.
>
>If a weapon system was listed as being 500% better than another for
>only an increase of 50% mass it would sound good.
>
>Or would it be easier to rate if you stated that it increased the kill
>percentage by 16% for a cost of 2 mass?
>
>Does it still sound as good if you find out it has an overall 20%
>chance of kill for 6 mass?
>
>Your usage depends on what number you are using for a baseline.  As
>your baseline increases in value, the apparent value of the increases
>goes down (i.e. 10 points compared to 10 points is 100%, but compared
>to 50 is only 20%)  When rolling % dice, what is important is that it
>is a 10 point or 10% difference, not that it is 10% depending on the
>baseline.
>
>I don't disagree that MDC/5 is a better buy, just in how much of a
>better buy.
>
>The use of mass % is faulty for the same reason, as you get to larger
>and larger masses, the amount a single unit counts towards the
>percentage change decreases.
>
>You can accurately compare Kill% to mass if you assume each item you
>are comparing starts with the same mass.
>
>Your calculation below is a correct way to compare systems - a %kill
>rate to a single mass unit.  In the case below you fixed the kill rate
>to 75%.
>
>--Binhan

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Prev: Re: [OTT] Reds Under the Bed Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.