Prev: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish) Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:19:24 -0700
Subject: RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.

To restate the problem, I agree that and MDC/5 is a better buy, but by
how much:

The original statement was that the move from  turreted MDC/4 to
turreted MDC/5 caused two changes -

Mass increased from 12 to 15

and

probability kill increased from 50% to 75%

Brian's statement was that you gained a 50% increase in kill with only a
25% gain in mass.

My argument is that this is deceptive since the % kill is based on 50%
and the mass is based on 12 mass, you have two different baselines - so
my question was is the 50% kill increase comparable to the 25% mass
increase?

I argued that the real gain in % kill is 25 or 25% based on a 100% kill,
this is more comparable since the 25 is based on an absolute scale.
But, the mass is still a bit tricky since it's based off the 12 mass
number, and not an absolute.

The better comparison IMHO is:

MDC/4	  50% chance to kill for 12 mass = 4.16% chance to kill per mass
MDC/5	    75% chance to kill for 15 mass = 5.0% chance to kill per
mass

Therefore the true gain is an increase of 20.2% relative gain. So,
although the MDC/5 is heavier, you get more chance to kill per mass.
The two factors combined together -more mass, plus more benefit per mass
show that the MDC/5 is a more hard hitting weapon.

--Binhan

Prev: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish) Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.