Prev: Re: Metal Storm Next: RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet72@y...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:16:58 -0500
Subject: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

I can see how the Metal Storm technology would have applications. I
just don't think it will be effective as a soldier's weapon. Vehicle
and aircraft mounted versions and the area-denial concepts I think are
practical though.

Considering that most vehicle mounted weapons systems have a finite
amount of ammo before needing a reload which is unwieldy to execute in
the middle of combat anyway, the need to swap "barrels" is of
questionable disadvantage.  Although the increasing barrel-length you
get as you fire more rounds is a factor, if firing low-velocity, large
bore exploding warheads, precise shot-grouping is less of an issue and
"close
enough for gov't work", in a word, works.

An application where I think the Metal Storm concept WOULD for a
ground-pounder work is to replace the M-203. A soldier is carrying the
grenades for an M-203 anyway, though a disadvantage is that with
MetalStorm the 40mm grenades would be carried by the troops arms...
possibly an ugly thing. Perhaps a quick-connect and fire method would
be preferable to keeping the MetalStorm 203 on the weapon.  The M-203
has no zero-ing, therefore there's no concern about just snapping the
barrel in place.

Dependent upon the ranges a metal-storm grenade launcher could obtain,
perhaps the metal-storm system could also provide a
replacement/alternative to the Mk19 automatic grenade launcher.  Also,
fitting tanks with multiple-shot smoke-grenade launchers can't be a
bad thing.

Using MetalStorm technology, you have the capability to build an
alternative to a claymore mine with all the downrange destructive
capability, but none of the back-blast issues.	Though you'd better
make sure it's still pointed away from you, just like today's
claymores.  Likewise, a MetalStorm Claymore-alternative doesn't have
to be a one-shot piece of ordnance.  (I realize that the claymore
concept is basically a modification to the area denial one, but a
claymore is more direct, with ballistic projectiles instead of
exploding ones.  Perhaps I'm splitting hairs, but there's a difference
to me.)

Man-pack one of those suckers in with an assaulting element at night,
and launch flares from the thing... (They have IR flares as well, that
only give off IR light, useful when you equip everyone with night
vision.) at set intervals and you can ensure that you never have
darkness for a preset time, and no-one has to make sure the darned
thing is going to fire once it's set off.

Likewise, set several up for an "Ambush" and pull the rest of the unit
back, one guy, hidden very well away from the Metal Storm systems (or
spotting via cameras) can launch the attack and the ambushed forces
will never know that there isn't a human at the other end of the
bullets because the firing intervals are set to imitate "live firing".
Such a system could be used to drive an enemy into another ambush
with "live ambush" or to draw enemy reaction forces away from other
targets without requiring a commitment of troops.  Cross-fire can be
set up using metal storms without causing friendly fire as well.
Whee!

I think the effectiveness and implementation of metal storm will
depend greatly on cost and how much hype there is in the concepts.
Some of the systems are ignorant of the KISS concept (Keep It Simple
Stupid) and thus will not survive field testing (like the laptop going
into the field for area-denial...)

Still, I don't think the MetalStorm concept will replace an M-16
anytime soon.  Even if they could fit a combat load of 5.56 ammo into a
package the size of an M16 with a weight similar to or less than the
current weapon+ammo it won't be good enough.  There would be no way to
redistribute ammo in the middle of a firefight.  "I'm out, Sgt, toss
me a barrel!"  Ummm... no... not a good idea.

I'd also like to see the answer to the EMP question as well... someone
asked that earlier and I didn't hear it addressed.

--
Best regards,
 Flak

Prev: Re: Metal Storm Next: RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.