Prev: RE: [FT] KV ship bits Next: Re: [OT] Some list def'n

Re: Letters of marque

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:26:19 -0800
Subject: Re: Letters of marque

I don't think we've spotted a belt - that'd almost have to be an optical

observation since it wouldn't perturb the star by enough to be
detectable.

Sure. We *could* use one rock on the table, but that's boring. Boring. I

have no problem with the occasional dense debris field of some sort for
story purposes or just plain dramatic effect. I note that while lots of
people complain about the asteroid scenes from ESB, nobody seems to have

a problem with the mynocs or - god help us - the giant space slug Our
Heroes flew into. And landed on. In. Whatever.

I also note that Larry Holland's X-Wing games did feature the occasional

asteroid field, they weren't quite so close as to be major collision
hazards in a dogfight. make of that what you may.

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

>G'day,
>
>>If you're in the Star Wars universe, yes.  If you're in the
>>real world, you can simulate a dense asteroid field as follows:
>>Flip a coin.	If it lands on heads, place one rock on the
>>table--something about the size of the head of a pin is about
>>right.  If it lands on tails, no rock.  If it lands on edge,
>>two rocks.
>>

>Assuming all asteroid fields are like the one in this solar system.
Mind you