Prev: Re: potpourri Next: Re: UV detection mutants

RE: Re: Letters of marque

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:42:34 -0500
Subject: RE: Re: Letters of marque

Karl said:
>I have a bit of problem with pirates, letters of marques and privateers
in
space. Historically, pirates and privateers financed their business by
selling their booty and prizes. This requires that you capture them
reasonably intact. You either get your victim to surrender at the first
shot
or you have to use boarding actions. The chances in space for either of
these to happen successfully seem a bit slim to me.

a) surrender doesn't seem that unreasonable.  If you took the position
"you give me your cargo (which is covered by insurance) and you keep
your ship--and your life", I think it would be quite persuasive.
b) your cost of goods is zero, so you don't have to capture *all* of
them intact--if you lose 50% of the shipment during the acquisition
process, you can still make a profit.
c) needle beams may be useful in the negotiations
d) what is does require is a market.  Historically the Spanish colonies
were legally required to buy goods from Spain only (other nations had
the same kind of laws), which meant the homeland merchants could and did
jack up their prices.  Consequently smugglers (including pirates) could
find customers who were more interested in the price than the legality.
  I can easily see that happening again in the GZGverse.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: potpourri Next: Re: UV detection mutants