Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

Re: D-Day was Shermans

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:15:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: D-Day was Shermans

--- bbrush@unlnotes.unl.edu wrote:

> My point is that there wouldn't be a mass invasion
> against a "hot" beach.

True. BUT:

> A debacle like Omaha wouldn't be excuted again

It's not a debacle if you win.	Granted the 1st and
the 29th got chewed up--but they won.  Side note:  Of
the four units I've been in, 2 were first wave at
Omaha, while the other had been in the second wave in
it's previous incarnation as 1/170 IN.	It's been a
bit of a study of mine.  Highest casualties were
sustained by the 116th INF (VaARNG).  Of the units I
was in, highest casualties was 30% by the 299 EN BN
which was acting as shore parties (not enough UDTs to
go around, so they were standing in).

John

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels