Prev: Re: Cammo was: girl soldiers Next: Re: girl soldiers

Re: Vietnam firefight radio transcript

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 13:35:08 -0600
Subject: Re: Vietnam firefight radio transcript

On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:34:55 -0600, Andy Cowell <andy@cowell.org> wrote:

>I just saw this on another list, thought it was worth seeing for SG2:
>http://www.soft.net.uk/entrinet/home.htm
>
>Go to "What's New," and search for Transcript.  Learn why your comm
>rolls failed and why you hate to see your leader get hit.

Man, that was quite something. A little bit of a slog to figure out
what's
happening (part of the point; anyone who's impatient should read the
notes at
the bottom first then read the transcript), but well worth it.

What's very interesting is the notion that the leader is not the guy in
the
command squad or command vehicle. In this case, the "leader" was the
sergeant
in charge of the lead tank. When he dies, unit cohesion goes to hell.

 I'd like to know what SSG Williams did in a regular firefight, to get a
sense
of how he "commanded" the platoon, and what the actual platoon commander
did.

I think the easiest way of replicating this in SG2 is to make the squad
leader
with the greatest leadership and quality values an Independent Figure
with
LEADERSHIP capability (see the rulebook, page 26). In fact, the more I
think
about it the more this situation is perfect for the Independent Figure
rules.

The next time I play SG2, I'm going to consider giving one side, or both
sides, a squad leader who's an Indpendent Figure... and hope he doesn't
get
taken out early in the firefight.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@att.net

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,
   "Jack B. Quick, Boy Inventor"

Prev: Re: Cammo was: girl soldiers Next: Re: girl soldiers