Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: links -> thanks

links -> thanks

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 01:51:19 -0500
Subject: links -> thanks

Thanks to Kiara for the link on MPs.  (And I
guess your husband will be happy to hear that
he's a "Somebody"!).  ;)

Thanks to Alan for the excellent links from
Sandline, MPRI, etc. The geocities link and the
one on Sandlines stance on regulation were
both very topical. I can forsee the possibility of
UN monitored Private Military Corporations
(PMCs). They seem to be setup very much like
any other corporation (a management team,
detailed project planning, clear guidelines on
payment and what missions they accept, etc). I
can see them doing good service where
countries don't want to commit their own
troops because no direct strategic interest is
threatened or because the conflict zone is too
hot or where it isn't felt that their country can
cut the mustard (I refer to some third world
countries and others like Canada who are
getting feebler by the day). PMCs can provide
up to date muscle with lots of experience to act
as cadre and trainers and to act as small spec
ops or strikers to assist local militaries.

Reading the MPRI site, I see they get all their
major international efforts approved by Dept of
State. So if you had a NAC-homed PMC, they'd
probably do the same thing - just make sure
the NAC is happy with any given contract. This is
good for both parties, the NAC would get to
reinforce places like colonies or allies without
diverting its own highly skilled forces. And it
keeps them out of some potential political
situations and they don't even have to pick up
much (or any) of the bill. A win win situation.

Presumably, if you had PMCs operating under
Guild Auspices, and the Guild agreed upon by
international convention, then you'd have Guild
(or Guild & UN) observers making spot checks
and accompanying missions to verify
compliance with international rules of armed
conflict and to insure the mercs were doing the
job for their employers in a manner consistent
with the Mercenary Code(c). This is actually
something mentioned (though not in the 2183
context) in the Sandline article.

Very cool. I've also had John A grant me
permission to post his article on mercs on
stargrunt.ca. It was a very neat piece as well
and offered some very good thoughts on the
matter.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: links -> thanks