Prev: Re: Guerilla wars (or continuance of armed conflict in other ways) Next: Re: SG-Ortillary

[OT] Japan

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:18:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [OT] Japan

--- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

> Oh, and John, in case you hadn't noticed:
> Modern Day Japan has an awful lot of very
> reasonable and democratic people who put a
> very high value on human life. There are

The specific question was "Japan 1943."  Nothing of
what you say applied then.

> undoubtedly small vestiges of the attitude of
> "the old days", but they are nowhere near as

Yeah.  Just ask any one of those Koreans living in
Japan, or an Ainu (IIRC, the most polite name they
have for them translates as "Earth Spider"), or the
descendants of the leatherworkers. . .

> And besides, most kids nowadays in Japan are
> interested in material goodies rather than
> philosophy. Globalization, the ubiquity of
> English, the Internet, etc. are all having their
> effect....

I'll just never trust anyone who can't admit what
their anscestors did.  The Germans don't run around
claiming they were the aggrieved party in WWII, why do
the Japanese claim their shit doesn't stink?  And the
Germans had less (marginally, but. . .) to answer for
than the Japanese.

John

Prev: Re: Guerilla wars (or continuance of armed conflict in other ways) Next: Re: SG-Ortillary