Prev: Re: An attempt to return to topic was Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training Next: Re: Experience and Training

The First Intersentient War

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:34:30 -0500
Subject: The First Intersentient War

Some thoughts.

First, I refer you to this link:
http://www.stargrunt.ca/settings_hist/gzg_timeline/gzg_timeline.htm

2186 - ESU fails to support NAC (or so history
records it - there might be two sides to this
story)

2187 - Everyone starts to think defensive.
Natural as breathing, as lethal to a war winning
strategy as arsenic.

2189 - The humans suffer a deep thrust from
the KV and determine "hey, maybe we need to
work together..."

2190 - signs the Kra'Vak clans are working
together more closely to overcome the Hu'man
challenge

2192 - Kra'Vak (or perhaps a UNSIA/UNBOSS
operation to help get the humans to panic and
work more closely together by faking a Kra'Vak
raid... no.... of course they wouldn't do that....
would they?) raid into the Sol system. Any
human that hasn't got the message that this is
for keeps is out to lunch.

2193 - UNSC orders Sol protected.... only parts
of the fleets agree. Many colonial fleets tell
them to "Sod off!". This undoubtedly creates
post-war problems (assuming the humans
survive period). The UNSC is assuming an even
larger mantle of control of joint human
operations... this is the creeping big
government thing that the AE and a few others
fear....

2194 - Siege of Sol has started.... by this time,
we're all in the same pot boiling merrily away.

So, what can we determine from this?

1) Traditional enemies won't want to help each
other, at least at the outset. Political games will
continue for some time.
2) The UNSC will become more and more
desparate and attempt to take greater and
greater control (this could be a version of a
political game in a sense)
3) Colonial fleets will worry about THEIR homes
being abandoned
4) By late in the war, anyone who hasn't figured
out we're all fighting to survive is probably
pushed aside and replaced. I'd figure most
human nations would be cooperating with the
UNSC and the Big 4 would be firmly behind the
UNSC (sometimes with knives... but that's
nothing new). Everyone would be frantically
expanding their supply of attrition units to blunt
the Kra'Vak thrusts - planetary fighter groups
would be being cranked out rapidly and pilots
would get WW2 style training - get your ass up
there and fight! Ground forces would be
expanded dramatically with a full mobilization
and then some to counteract the expected
invasion. It would be very problematic for the
commanders of Earth's defence to mount deep
strikes against the enemy (the political costs
would be enormous for such adventurism)
despite the fact this may be a key to blunting
the Kra'Vak thrusts - the ships would have to
be seen to be "defending" not "risking
themselves foolishly". Generals and Admirals
would be fighting a war for "All the Marbles"
with one hand tied behind their back by the
public's panic and fears of widescale rioting and
worldwide revolution and unrest. As things
worsen, Army recruits may disappear with their
weapons to defend homes and afmilies. Whole
units may mutiny and you may see the
worldwide "last day on earth" syndrome kick in.

No one has talked about this. But... WHO SAYS
HUMANITY WINS? Jon really hasn't let on. Maybe
Earth faces a Kra'Vak Occupation! Maybe we
end up having to drive them from Earth via
Guerilla war. Maybe we just lose out and our
hope goes to off Earth colonies (somewhat like
the theme in the RPG High Colonies). Or maybe
we just lose and FT4 covers the timeline of the
universe sans humanity.....

Some grist for the mill.

Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304