Prev: Re: Re[2]: S'V Seekers Next: Re: Attitude on the UN

Re: [OT] Voting schemes

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:14:56 EST
Subject: Re: [OT] Voting schemes

Too practical and requires people to actually become involved.	Not to
mention all the bureaucrats (NGO types, of course) that would be out of
work...

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:36:19 -0600 "Mark A. Siefert"
<siefertma@wi.rr.com> writes:
>    Personally, I've always been a fan of the Medieval Icelandic form
>of
>representation.  Each free man can choose the individual who
>represents them
>in "the thing" and is allowed to change reprehensive on a whim when
>and if
>that person somehow fails them.  (For a more modern interpretation,
>read
>Chp. 22 of Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" or the
>description of
>the Continental Congress from L. Neil Smith's "The Probability
>Broach.")
>    Under this system, the only way anyone can really be
>disenfranchised is
>if they don't choose a reprehensive or there is no one that adequately
>represents that individuals beliefs.  What the representative actually
>believes becomes more important than what district they're from or
>what
>party they belong to.
>
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: Re[2]: S'V Seekers Next: Re: Attitude on the UN