Prev: Re: Framework of nations WAS: Re: Attitude on the UN Next: Re: Framework of nations WAS: Re: Attitude on the UN

Re: StanFlex vs OUDF

From: aebrain@a... (Alan E Brain)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:45:17 +1100
Subject: Re: StanFlex vs OUDF

> On 13-Dec-01 at 13:35, Oerjan Ohlson (oerjan.ohlson@telia.com) wrote:
> > Roger Books wrote:
> >
> >  >>The Danish navy operates a number of STANFLEX ships,

> >  >>(Unfortunately the crew often needs a refresher course to be able
to use
> >  >>the new modules efficiently :-/ ) These were part of the
inspiration for
> >  >>Alan's modular OUDF designs.
>
> This is just experience in the USN, but I personnally wouldn't trust
> a crew of what were affectively newbies anyway

> I guess the way I would do it is staff 50% of my highly technical
> modules.  If you need more than that online you mix the new people
> in with those who are experienced.
>
> Others may argue with this, but it has been my experience that
> up to date training and experience is more important than any
> other piece of the equation

The following applies to the OUDF, not the RDN:

FWIW... the OUDF modules are self-contained, and have 80% crews assigned
to them. When a new module is fitted to an OUDF ship - which takes weeks
rather than hours - the module's crew is transferred (at least in
theory), and the other 20% comes from the ship's existing complement.
There's a fair degree of cross-training of ship's crews for particular
modules. So, for example, a ship's Navigator's Assistant may also be
qualified to head the FC team of a Missile Module, and also be
Supercargo supervisor for a VIP pod.

In practice, because the OUDFN is short of personnel, there's also a
floating pool of trained personnel for a particular module type who get
assigned as needed, there's never enough.

This practice is a work-around though - the idea is that (ideally)
reservist crews can spend a lot of their part-time service on training
simulations back at base in the reserve modules, and provide expansion
when needed. It worked fairly well in the 1st Xeno war - it was found
that the additional ship-crew cohesion of having a few of the module's
crew being assigned from the carrying ship made up for the lack of
crew-cohesion within the module. Usually. And that having different
crews rotating into ships led by neccessity to a more uniform
methodology, so Standing Order "Operation Zwilnik" in one ship meant
exactly the same as in any other. But most ships go for years without
such a rotation - they change modules only on major refit or
re-commissioning with a new crew.

Prev: Re: Framework of nations WAS: Re: Attitude on the UN Next: Re: Framework of nations WAS: Re: Attitude on the UN