Prev: Re: Ship Designs for Review Next: Re: S'V Seekers

Re: S'V Seekers

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 23:49:11 EST
Subject: Re: S'V Seekers

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:24:51 -0800 Jaime Tiampo
<fugu@spikyfishthing.com>
writes:
<snip>

>> The more I think about it the more I don't like the secondary move
>> principal for seekers (or MT missiles).  It allows them to dodge out
>of
>> the way of defensive ship networks and area weapons like Phalon PBs.
>> Some may like this but if they can dodge like this it makes defense
>> lot more difficult.	I'd prefer that fighters be the only users of
>> secondary movement, hence my earlier objections to a weapon system
>that
>> had an area effect that had a limited movement in the secondary
>movement
>> segment...oh...I probably shouldn't mention that...	;-)  Part of
>the
>> challenge to SMLs, PBs, and MTMs is the need to guess what the enemy
>is
>> up to - the secondary move makes it three times easier to guess
>unless
>> you're typically playing at the speed Oerjan is use to while using
>> Cinematic movement.
>
>I look at it from what the unit should do, and then work the game
>dynamics for it. To me SMs are basically unguided rockets that are
>launched in a general direction and have minimal to target guidance,
>which is why they go in swarms. PB are basically diretion fired
>artillery. Fighters work like small space ships, but are far more
>menuverable because of their size. MT missiles are like modern cruise
>missiles, that can guide themselves into the target much like a
>fighter
>would. I can't see any reason to justify having fighters move 6mu more
>then missiles a turn. To me it doesn't make sense.

Having a little experience with cruise missile dynamics - Cruise
Missiles
don't evade.

 As a fan of MT missiles, I think they should not have secondary
movement
either.  deapite the AI it's a matter of an agile Bull moving in for the
kill, not a ballerina moving in for a kiss.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: Ship Designs for Review Next: Re: S'V Seekers