Prev: RE: Questions before my rules even arrive, was: Needle fleet Next: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

Re: Inventions

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:06:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Inventions

--- "K.H.Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:
> > > Brian (and others),  I cannot agree with this as
> the
> > > Universe really feels
> > > like it is written from a Western perspective.
> It
> >
> > Yes, well who's invented 99+% of the things you
> use in
> > the world today?
>
> The Chinese ?
> Paper, ink, the compass, blackpowder, rockets, silk,
> real seaworthy ships,
> oil-drilling, cast iron, printing...

1)You can't give them credit for silk.	That's
caterpillar stuff.  They were just lucky enough to
live next to mulberry trees.

2)Paper and ink I'll give them--although ink was
developed by practically every culture on the planet.
Even stone age Irishmen had ink good enough for
tattooing.

None of the rest were ever (with the exception of cast
iron) exploited.  They sort of put together a few
prototypes, said "oh, what an interesting toy" and got
rid of it again.  Whereas within 100 years of
developing the stern post rudder, the magnetic
compass, and practical firearms the Europeans had
taken 2/3 of the world away from it's original
inhabitants.

However, if you're having this discussion with ink and
paper I want to know how.

John