Prev: Re: Bridges Next: Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution

Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution (and an [FT] macro side-bar)

From: devans@u...
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 07:53:54 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution (and an [FT] macro side-bar)

I've always been twitchy about introducing nanite tech, but this
certainly
is a less game-killing FM.

Is the time frame resonable, though? I would have thought the lil'
buggers
would have taken more time just spreading out, though I'm sure others
would
mention an aerosol, than your whole descriptive process. Perhaps spray
the
yard, come back in days to weeks? You're probably right about still
needing
supply of materials. Tin cans are still tin cans, and not the only
materials you'd need for power suits.

Also, I don't have a particular problem with 'Santa Claus machines', and
nanite tech would be a powerful part of such, but I'm not certain
relying
on JUST nanites would be the best way. Seems more likely I'd drive up a
jeep-sized item, then walk away as it would scoop up the junk, digest,
and
create more similar workers, automatically.

I still don't see a big change to the game mechanics, but perhaps
someone
else can shoot down my image of how the lil' buggers would work.

As an aside, though not totally unrelated, I was recently reading the
rules
to an older game, Rocket Flight from Sierra Madre, and noticed the
designer
was fascinated by bugs-in-space. Not the micro-organism variety, but
bioenginered space spiders and the like. His examples of the fact that
insects and arachnids have powerful sphincters(spiracules) that might
work
for sealing up in space, and bombadier beetles use a hypergolic
self-defense that might work as a miniature rocket motor didn't seem
particularly convincing to me, but is anyone else aware of
studies/thought
problems in this area?

Prev: Re: Bridges Next: Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution