Prev: Re: [OT]Heads of State Next: Re: Regimental Mottos and Surprises

Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:37:50 +1100
Subject: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse

From: <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au>

> We respect the Turks (and often have joint memorials), but the Brit
command
> gets anything but respect for the mess it made.

My grandfather on my father's side ( 9th Batallion, 45th Notts and Derby
regt,
"The Sherwood Foresters") had, as a sniper, the dubious honour of being
in
the
first wave on no less than 4 of the landings at Gallipoli (including
Anzac
cove, Suvla Bay etc). Plus having to cover the withdrawal from Suvla.

He too was less than impressed with the quality of Generalship. But he
said
that it was worse at the Somme - his battalion was at Thiepval.

See http://www.multeen.freeserve.co.uk/9th%20Btn.htm

Prev: Re: [OT]Heads of State Next: Re: Regimental Mottos and Surprises