Prev: Re: Armalligator was: Email Next: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse

Re: [OT]Heads of State

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:18:22 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Heads of State

From: <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au>

> I think Derek was thinking back to the fact (or at least that is how
it
has
> been portrayed in a few docos down here) that no non-Greek (uni frat)
and
> fairly rich guy has been President since the earliest of days. Maybe
its
> media hype from outside the US (especially in Australia were "US
> bashing/stirring" is considered a national past time), but your
Presidents
> are painted as being larger than life and effectively royalty in all
but
> name. Our PMs and our governor generals certainly don't get the
treatment
> (on the way up or afterwards) that the Presidents SEEM to (at least in
what
> we get to see of them), but may be its all a cultural misunderstanding
(for
> one you probably respect your pollys, here the general opinion is
you'd
have
> to be desperate, demented, out of touch or crooked to want to be one).

I was at a church fete the other day ( got a copy of War at Sea for $5,
and
far better, a copy of "Atlantic Odyssey" signed by the author - the same
guy who wrote possibly the most famous nautical ballad of the 20th
century,
the ballad of the Jervis Bay, but I digress...)

The G-G (Governor General) was there. Seemed a nice enough bloke, fairly
harmless. Some of the people even left off rummaging through the books
on sale at the church hall to go outside and listen to his speech.

Prev: Re: Armalligator was: Email Next: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse