Prev: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse Next: RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

RE: Foodstuff

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 15:14:15 -0800
Subject: RE: Foodstuff

This reminds me of a story my father told me of his US Navy days.  I
hope
you'll all humor me in retelling it, he passed away this past summer and
like to remember him.

My father was a sonarman on a destroyer in the 1960's.	His ship was the

flagship of a destreoyer squadron, so along with the ship's captain, the

squadron commander (according to my father, his title [not rank] was
commodore) was also stationed on my father's ship, and brought along his
own
cook.

One day, while my father was doing some wiring in the galley, he noticed

several fresh-baked pies, craftsmanship of the commodore's cook,
cooling.
The pies happened to be blackberry, the favorite of any good Oregon boy.

When he finished his wiring work, my father took one of the spools of
wire
out of his electrician's kit, set the pie in it's place, replaced the
lid on
his kit, and left.

A few days later, while everyone was at roll call, the Commodore
approached
my father.  "Bilderback, where are you from?" "Oregon, sir." "So I
suppose
you like pie, don't you?" "Yes, sir." "You probably like Blackberry pie,

don't you?" "Oh, it's my favorite, sir."  "I see.  Bilderback?" "Yes,
sir?"
"My cook would like his pie pan back." "Aye aye, sir!"

No more was ever said.

Brian B2

"The Irish are the only race of people on Earth for which psychoanalysis
is
of no use."

				 - S. Freud