Prev: Re: grav Next: Re: grav everywhere

Re: ROF vs.penetratiin

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:36:31 -0500
Subject: Re: ROF vs.penetratiin

"K.H.Ranitzsch" wrote:

> > > 3) MDC: small MDCs (GACs) especially I always
> > > envisioned as having much  higher ROF than equivalent RFACs. I
> > > assumed this continued into the
> > > larger weapons to give the better effective stats
> > > for an MDC.
> >
> > Why?  If you can smack around a tank with one round,
> > why use 3-5?
>
> Something of a big IF - depending on your assumptions about weapon and
> armour. If your chance of penetrating is only so-so multiple shots are
an
> advantage.
>
> > And you don't need a higher ROF to get
> > better stats--just higher muzzle velocity and flatter
> > trajectory.
>
> Depending on your PSB, higher ROF may be available, but not higher
velocity.

My crude calculations for a railgun on sci.military.moderated (many
years ago)
pointed out to me that it is easier to increase the ROF than the
velocity.
Increasing the velocity requires lengthening the rails, increasing the
current,
or increasing the strength of the magnetic field.  All of these are
non-trivial.  Increasing the ROF only requires that there be more power
available.  The starship's point defence MDC will be built for the
maximum
possible ROF, and to save engineering costs, the same weapon would be
mounted on
a ground vehicle.  The ground system may omit the cooling system and use
smaller
conductors, because it cannot fire that often, anyways OR retain the
hypothetical ROF, for those magic circumstances (defending a central
powerplant)

Prev: Re: grav Next: Re: grav everywhere